Our MSc Geography program introduces students to independent research while deepening their knowledge within a selected aspect of Geography.
The MSc Geography program is flexible, research-intensive, and student-driven. Students will be mentored by outstanding scholars who are recognized researchers in various geographical themes including: Biogeography, Climatology, Geomorphology, Hydrology and Glaciology, Environment and Sustainability, and Geographic Information Science.
Students in the MSc Geography program are able to select between a thesis and non-thesis option to complete their degree, each with their own separate program requirements.
Thesis Program Requirements
The thesis option for the Masters of Arts in Geography requires students to complete the 30 credits under the following requirements:
- GEOG 599: Thesis (15 credits)
- A minimum of 15 credits of coursework:
- 500-level courses and above: minimum 9 credits, including GEOB 500
- 300-level and above: maximum 6 credits
Non-Thesis Program Requirements
The non-thesis option for the Masters of Arts in Geography requires students to complete 30 credits under the following requirements:
- GEOG 548: Major Essay (0 credits)
- Courses 500-level and above: 24 credits
- Courses 300-level and above: 6 credits maximum